Monday, December 15, 2008

worried about the humming bird


I'm worried about the humming bird.


A sudden cold snap turned it 20 degrees F with a 25 m.p.h. wind - wind chill about 5.


The humming bird's sugar water keeps freezing up.


I know they have to eat about every fifteen minutes or so, especially when it's sub-freezing.


I realize that for many of you, this is just normal December weather. For Portland, it's not.

We got about three inches of snow and frigid temp/wind chill and you'd think the world had totally ended. I grew up in Kansas, where this is normal December weather, and I hated it as much as any of the born and bred Portlanders. It's supposed to stay this way all week, with more snow Wednesday and Thursday. We have hills here. People slide all over them.


Did you know that you only use chains on the front tires of a Subaru Outback, and not at all if you have the P225-60-R-16 tires(which I have). So what are we supposed to do when the highway dept calls for mandatory chains or studded tires? Stay home? Well, that would be nice, if one could afford to take snow days off.


One from the Ironic file - A semi tractor/trailer carrying road de-icer juice slid on freeway and overturned spilling deicer all over the road. It shut down the road all day....and the winter god's laughed.....


Thanks God, My Aunt & Uncle had in-the-house work for me to do today.....just getting over major sinus infection, I don't need to be out in this crappy weather any more than absolutely gotta.


9 days till Christmas. Am I ready? Oh hell NO! Not even close. As long as I get the ittle-bittys taken care of, I'll be Okay. .. and the Missus, but she knows the situation.......


Like I think Barrack may have said "It's the economy, Dumb-ass!" Ok, he didn't really, but I bet he's thought it about a bu-zillion times lately.


Got a warm home & bed. Been staying well fed. my dog wears Keds, never ever trust Feds.....


Okay, that last couple of parts was just for fun....I don't have a dog.


The economy is so sad/bad/mad that Powell's Books have requested that their employees voluntarily cut back on their hours so they won't have to lay anyone off for Christmas.










2 comments:

  1. Poor little birdie!

    We've been getting lots of rain from this storm system. CA needs the rain desperately... we've been in drought conditions. But with so much rain after a big fire? We are probably going to have some mudslides and such.

    Weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard times, to be sure.
    My grandfather-in-law cuts his hummingbirds off in September so they don't have encouragement to stick around. But cold winters happen, I guess, and I guess the hummingbirds will be okay, poor little things.

    ReplyDelete